Feeling Freezing and Festive

The weeks seem to be steaming ahead, Christmas is looming and yet I feel I am and am not achieving things. We had two days travelling and being at my sisters funeral last week, Saturday to potter, check the nursery and catch a breath at home before heading to Alnwick on Sunday for David's families annual Christmas get together. In three days my car has done just under 1000 miles! Barter books is the meeting place of choice these days, it's half way between us all in Scotland and David's parents in York. Who doesn't like a second hand book shop to browse, especially one as good and Quirky as Barter Books. Yes I did buy books, yes I do need to read the ones I got last year and I may have to create another pile! Hmmmmmmm. 

I love these light shades at Barter Books, no idea why, just random

This is one of my favourite places

Still it was a good day but good to get home for a rest. Unfortunately not so much of a rest as being struck down by a dreadful cold. I'm never ill, so not sure what this is about, it's a shocking cold and both David and I have felt rubbish. He always has colds but has said this one was a stonker even for him! Keeping warm and out of the rubbish weather out side, I've started updating the website for next year so all is not lost. 

Lots and lots of new piglets on the farm when we went to
check the nursery on Saturday

Awwwwwww, everyone say oink

Who you gonna call? Leaf busters

In nursery news, it's all frozen solid. The past few nights we've had -9 celsius, brrrrrrrrrrrrr. Hopefully all the plants will survive in and out of the tunnel, only time will tell. When it's not been frozen we've been making the most of sunny, dry weather. David has started strimming the bankings, a massive job, but keeps him out of mischief and they look so much tidier for it. I've started lifting the leaves in the sales area, always a horrible job lifting them of the gravel. But not this year, no this year I have a new toy. A super duper industrial leaf blower which is doing the job very well and saving me days of back breaking work yeh! So far I've done in one day what it took me four to do last year, more than well worth the cost of the machine. David has also discovered it's great for rounding up the grass strimming - double win.


Some Hawthorn berries gathered on a local dog walk

On Wednesday night we wrapped up and headed into Edinburgh Botanic Gardens for the Botanic Lights, this has become something of an annual outing for us and you can read about this years trip here 

Twinkly christmas lights

There's no getting away from Christmas now, I've started putting out the decorations and lights around the house and the tree will go up in the next couple of days. I need to finish shopping and get the truffles made, then we're almost there. We had a lovely festive dinner with friends on Friday night, it was lovely to sit around their log stove with wine, chat and good company and food, great for the soul on a freezing night.

Christmas lights at the window

A new bauble for the tree this year sitting in my gorgeous wooden bowl by our dear friend
Andrew from Wood Yew Believe it



What do you do with your empty Edinburgh Gin bottles? I've put mistletoe in mine and stuck candles I had in a drawer in them, and voila free festive candle sticks!



On Sunday I was in the warm at Whitmuir selling, mistletoe, gift vouchers and seasonal gifts. It was nice to catch up with people and make sales. It was bitterly cold again, with the temperatures down to -9C overnight! Brrrrrrrrrrrrr. I will be there again next Sunday, 17th with more mistletoe and gift ideas. There is also great food in the cafe and farm shop, gorgeous art in the Dancing Light Gallery and antiques and Christmas trees at Gladstonebag antiques and Vintage. The fire will be on in the cafe, so why not come along and do some Christmas shopping.

Selling christmas cheer

So that's another week and a bit gone, there is lots getting done indoors and out, behind the scene and in the nursery. I am behind compared to the last two years, but funerals, bad colds and motivation do that. I am really looking forward to having all my boys home for christmas and spending time with my nearest and dearest and the comfort there is in that.

Until next time, keep warm, keep festive and I'll go and work on more christmas ideas, website work and leaf lifting!






If you want to find out what's been happening in our garden at home like our Facebook page 
                                                      The quirky Bird Gardener 

 If you to see whats new and looking good at the nursery like our Facebook page
                                                         Quercus Garden Plants


Find out more about the nursery here - our web site: www.quercusgardenplants.co.uk


Follow us on Instagram @quirkybirdgardener


You can now sign up for our monthly newsletter on the facebook page or by emailing us to be added to our mailing list



All contents  and photographs ©  Rona, unauthorised reproduction & use of these images is strictly forbidden, thank you

Comments